Friday 6 July 2007

The Greatest Gift

The greatest gift that I could give would be an unseen hand
embracing life across the earth, in sky and sea and land,
I'd give my very best to all, to help them through their pain
and share with them their greatest joy and celebrate their gain,
I'd shine upon the smallest flower and water it with tears
so it would grow to be quite strong, and conquer all its fears,
I'd help them all to learn to know they'd never be alone
for love unseen is all they need to make them feel at home,
my love for you is what I give, to help you understand
that deep inside your very being lives this unseen hand.

I wrote this poem when I was in the Sixth Form. I can't remember what inspired it but the line "water it with tears" is a tribute to the emotive poetry of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience.

No comments: